Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Not My Grandmother

Thanksgiving weekend, I journeyed up to a bar called Primetime in Highland, NY. It's the closest thing to a real bar near me that isn't in Manhattan, and it's not that close or that real. However, while hanging out there, I spotted a drag queen that looked so much like my late grandmother Doris, I couldn't help but stare. I even had to take a grainy photo with my iPhone to send to my mother.


Yes my grandmother never would have worn a wig that long (her blond wig dropped just below the ears), but in all other respects, that drag queen looked like my grandmother! I wrote about Doris quite extensively in my book, although there are no pictures of her included. So for those of you who got the book and were curious about what my grandmother looked like, this is about as close as you are gonna get.

No comments:

Post a Comment